Wednesday, August 18, 2010

English with an American Corporate Accent - 017

This is another collection from recent meetings and trips. It works best if you can find a native English speaker with exposure to corporate America to elaborate on the finer points that I cannot cover well here.

* I don't know whether Joe has really drawn the line in the sand or not. [I don't know whether Joe has really made the clear-cut decision or not.]
* I'll talk to Joe first, and then I'll circle back to you. [I'll talk to Joe first, then I'll come back to you.]
* At this point, I don't want to change horses. [At this point, I don't want to change directions.]
* When it comes to supporting that product, they basically don't check out. [When it comes to supporting that product, they basically cannot fulfill what they have promised.]
* I hear you. Let me pow-wow with my team next week to get the product requirements you need. [I hear you. Let me have a meeting with my team next week to get the product requirements you need.]
* At the end of day, it all comes down to whether we'll commit to support that product or not. [After all the discussions and meetings, it all comes down to whether we'll commit to support that product or not.]
* Anyone need to take a bio break? [Anyone need to take a restroom break?]
* I have to punt on this one question, let me get back to you on that next week. [I have to skip on this one question, let me get back to you on that next week.]
* The desire of the testing is to go full battery. [The desire of the testing is go for a full set of tests.]
* There are other features added to that wad of code changes in addition to the one we really need. [There are other features added to that collection of code changes in addition to the one we really need.]
* According to the POR, that feature is not included in this release. [According to the plan of record, that feature is not included in this release.]
* Where do they stand in the pecking order? [What is their ranking order in the decision-making process?]
* They don't know what to do. They are in a holding pattern and waiting for marching orders. [They don't know what to do. They are waiting for commands on what to do next.]

No comments: