Thursday, May 24, 2012

English with an American Corporate Accent - 026


This is another collection from recent meetings and trips. It works best if you can find a native English speaker with exposure to corporate America to elaborate on the finer points that I cannot cover well here.

* Some of these items in the diagram are scaffoldings for testing. [Some of these items in the diagram are temporary structures for testing.]
* We need something better, log file scrapping just doesn't cut it. [We need something better, searching for that kind of data in the log file just doesn't meet the need.]
* Do you have the necessary equipment? I might be able to scrounge up a card for you. [Do you have the necessary equipment? I might be able to beg and borrow a card for you.]
* If we do that, we throw out the baby with the bath water. [If we do that, we are overreacting by getting rid of everything.]
* Lack of visibility into that area prevents us from doing more diagnosis of the problem. [The lack of means to know what happened in that area prevents us from doing more diagnosis of the problem.]
* Something went wrong.  They bricked the disk drive. [Something went wrong. They completely killed the disk drive.]
* I am spacing out on that name right now. [I just cannot recall that name right now.]
* I am all for chunking things up.  We don't need to do it all this time. [I am all for breaking things up.  We don't need to do everything at this time.]
* Rob took that a lot further.  But I did not plug in to that effort. [Rob took that a lot further.  But I did not follow up to that effort.]
* The party line is that now we'll use Brand X drives. [The official line is that now we'll use Brand X drives.]
* I think that will be a ways away. Let's not worry about it. [I think that will be a long time later.  Let's not worry about it.]
* You should do a complete job first, then you can pick them out in pieces. [You should do a complete job first, then you can examine them carefully in pieces.]
* If you need to camp on it for a month, we may have a problem. [If you need to have exclusive access on it for a month, we may have a problem.]

No comments: