Monday, December 3, 2012

English with an American Corporate Accent - 029


This is another collection from recent meetings and trips. It works best if you can find a native English speaker with exposure to corporate America to elaborate on the finer points that I cannot cover well here.

* I only have anecdotal stories to tell you. [I can only tell you what I've heard.]
* This testing methodology is pretty brittle to me. [This testing methodology is pretty shaky to me.]
* We are closing the doors; but the cows are already out. [We are closing the doors; but it is too late since the cows are already out.]
* He was working with all the slicing and dicing of the hardware project. [He was working with all the details of the designs for the hardware project.]
* There are a whole plethora of things we can do. [There are many things we can do.]
* We'll hit that knee very soon in the arbitration overhead. [We'll hit that threshold very soon in the arbitration overhead.]
* This could be an implementation artifact in our prototype. [This could be due to the way we implemented it in our prototype.]
* Jason's measurement numbers bear this out. [Jason's measurement numbers prove this assertion.]
* I just want to be helpful somehow... so if either of you have a suggestion, I'm all ears. [I just want to be helpful somehow... so if either of you have a suggestion, I'm listening.]
* Yes, scratch that. Now I recall the reason for the so-called local functions. [Yes, forget about that.  Now I recall the reason for the so-called local functions.]
* But most of these new disk drives are spoken for. [But most of these new disk drives are already reserved for people.]
* We have to take this back to chew it a bit before we can get back to you. [We have to take this back to work on it a bit before we can get back to you.]
* We'll do this two-week cadence for our future meetings. [We'll do this every two weeks for our future meetings.]



 

4 comments:

May said...

Today, I attended toastmaster meeting as a guest and this is the second time.
This recalled my memory of our toastmaster club.
Are you attending toastmaster meeting, now?

May said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T.Paul said...

Good for you. It is in English or in French :-) Best wishes to your new club. I wish that I had time to join another TM club.

May said...

It's English. They speak very well. some of them are native speakers. I wonder why they joined the club since their speech has been already perfect.