Monday, June 22, 2009

Community Service - A Common Way of Life in America

I was invited by the seminary director at the Catholic Theology and Philosophy School of the Beijing Diocese to give a talk to the young seminarians back in May. Attached is what I used.

By the way, the school is quite close to Tsinghua University, but is in an amazingly run-down area. The road was paved only in the last year or so. Now it is not muddy during the rainy season.














This presentation provides a good glimpse of my non-professional community service. I focused on the Tijuana housebuilding project that I helped to get started almost 10 years ago at the San Jose Chinese Catholic Community Watermark Youth Group. I personally took part in the project for 5 years. That was a life-changing experience for me and my boys. I was born Catholic and somewhat was destined to travel on this road :-). There are many ways to reach this point of my life, but I have no regrets coming to this point in this particular rendition ;_)

You might find it puzzling that I used the acronym BLP in the presentation material. To stay on a par with the many USCCB board members who belong to different Catholic religious orders and who always have a few letters after their names, I was given an honorary title BLP. My lay board member friend coined the term BLP (basic lay person) for us lay people in the Board.

No comments: