Wednesday, February 17, 2010

English with an American Corporate Accent - 010

This is another collection from recent meetings and trips. It works best if you can find a native English speaker with exposure to corporate America to elaborate on the finer points that I cannot cover well here.

* We'll consider all things together and determine what falls off the plate. [We'll consider everything together and determine what has to be dropped.]
* Oh, I'm sorry that I lost my train of thought. That should come back to me later in the meeting. [Oh, I'm sorry that I forgot what I wanted to say. I should remember it later in the meeting.]
* We are worker bees, we cannot change the process. [We are supposed to follow the orders, we cannot change the process.]
* Nothing comes to mind off-the-bat. [Nothing comes to mind at this moment.]
*
I will need the driver team to help in explaining this. I have never been able to wrap my head around this. [I will need the driver team to help in explaining this. I have never been able to understand this.]
* I have been on my soapbox on this issue for more than two years. [I have been voicing my concerns on this issue for more than two years.]
* We are just looking for a smoke test and your swag on whether or not any code change is necessary. [We are just looking for a simple sanity test and your estimate on whether or not any code change is necessary.]
* At this point we have gone full circle on this item multiple times. [At this point, we have not been able to get to anywhere on this item multiple times.]
* It is just a one-off. They are not going to do that again. [It is just a one-time special case. They are not going to do that again.]
* I was being facetious with that comment. [That comment was a joke.]
* Those are not insurmountable problems. [Those are not problems that cannot be solved.]
* We have to do that better and different. That has to be part of our DNA. [We have to do that better and different. That has to be part of our traits and characters.]

No comments: