Thursday, May 13, 2010

English with an American Corporate Accent - 014

This is another collection from recent meetings and trips. It works best if you can find a native English speaker with exposure to corporate America to elaborate on the finer points that I cannot cover well here.

* As we move to the new environment, we have to deal with shifting sands in our strategy. [As we move to the new environment, we have to deal with the fast-changing conditions in our strategy.]
* I don't want to spend extra energy for this one-off release. [I don't want to spend extra energy for this special one-of-a-kind release.]
* I don't want a bastardized thing for this product. [I don't want a low-quality rushed version of this product.]
* Let's not jump in and analyze this thing to the n'th degree. [Let's not rush in and study it in unnecessary levels of details.]
* I am drawing a blank on that guy's name. [I simply cannot remember that guy's name.]
* That is the main impetus to do this project. [That is the main reason to do this project.]
* It really depends on whether there is anyone who would rat hole with silly questions. [It really depends on whether there is anyone who would change the course of the meeting with irrelevant questions.]
* The release date becomes really murky now when that additional requirement is added. [The release date becomes really questionable now when that additional requirement is added.]
* You'll find the new manager a lot more draconian in dealing with project slippage. [You'll find the new manager a lot more strict in dealing with project slippage.]
* You have dependency on that project, but you did not call out explicitly for that. [You have dependency on that project, but you did not explicitly spell that out.]
* What I want to prevent is a management edict from above. [What I want to prevent is a management mandate from above.]
* I know that this page is an eye chart, my apology. [I know that this page is too hard to read, my apology.]

No comments: