Monday, January 17, 2011

English with an American Corporate Accent - 020

This is another collection from recent meetings and trips. It works best if you can find a native English speaker with exposure to corporate America to elaborate on the finer points that I cannot cover well here.

* If you decide to peg that process to a CPU, you're screwed. [If you decide to bind that process to a CPU, you're in trouble.]
* We need to have that solution baked in, not as an afterthought. [We need to have that solution designed in, not as an afterthought.]
* It works on one, but fails on the other. I haven't yet found a smoking gun between those two releases. [It works on one, but fails on the other. I haven't yet found any good lead between those two releases.]
*I am trying to get to the Live Meeting; but I'm dead in the water. [I am trying to get to the Live Meeting; but I am not having any success.]
* Craig, if I can interject here, you mean that we won't get the final release until the end of January? [Craig, if I can interrupt here, you mean that we won't get the final release until the end of January?]
* The caveat here is that our deliverables still need to complete ASAP, and stay off the critical path. [The caveat here is that our deliverables still need to complete as soon as possible, and stay out of the critical path for project completion.]
* We don't want to boil the ocean. We just need to make incremental progress. [We don't want to fix every single possible thing. We just need to make incremental progress.]
* The specific actionable tasks will bubble out from that long wordy plan. [The specific actionable tasks will emerge from that long wordy plan.]
* Are these constraints called out in your proposal? [Are these constraints explicitly mentioned in your proposal?]
* I appreciate everyone's help moving forward. [I appreciate everyone's help from this point on.]
* I'll do some scrubbing on it today and send you that document tomorrow morning. [I'll do some cleanup work on it today and send you that document tomorrow morning.]
* Let's meet after the New Year anyway, it's a chance to brush off cobwebs in our heads. [Let's meet after the New Year anyway, it's a chance to clear up our heads after all those parties.]

No comments: