Thursday, April 14, 2011

English with an American Corporate Accent - 021

This is another collection from recent meetings and trips. It works best if you can find a native English speaker with exposure to corporate America to elaborate on the finer points that I cannot cover well here.

* We are right up against the holidays. Are we going to meet next week? [The holidays are upon us very soon. Are we going to meet next week?]
* Let me do the prototype first. It's easy for me to get real about it. [Let me do the prototype first. It is easy for me to have a good feel about it.]
* What's important at the end of the day is what XYZ company will do for this problem. [What's important and relevant after all is what XYZ company will do for this problem.]
* Whatever I mutter here would likely be wrong. [Whatever I say here would likely be wrong.]
* Let's see whether we can come up with a straw man's schedule today. [Let's see whether we can come up with a proposal for the schedule today.]
* He is online as I just traded a few emails with him. [He is online as I just exchanged a few emails with him.]
* I don't want to get stuck, I just want to get oriented. [I don't want to get stuck, I just want to get my directions correct.]
* Let me back up the truck, and up-level a bit. [Let me back up and clarify things a bit.]
* Let us not call out that explicitly. I don't want to hang ourselves early. [Let us not call out that explicitly. I don't want to see us get stuck early.]
* How we dice that piece is not my concern. [How we divide up that piece is not my concern.]
* We have to shove up that piece before we can submit the proposal. [We have to have a plan for that piece before we can submit the proposal.]
* As we come in for a hard landing, we need to give heads-up to the stakeholders. [As we are going to disclose this bad news, we need to give warnings to the stakeholders.]
* We are 35 minutes into the meeting. Pat, what else do you want to cover before we jump into the demo. [We are 35 minutes into the meeting already. Pat, what else do you want to address before we jump into the demo.]

No comments: