Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Home: where your heart is

I am back to the Bay area for now. I need to be home. My family needed me.
My mother moved to Davis, California, with my sister Maria again in February. My mother stayed in Taiwan with my younger sister for about 4 years.
I have never got a chance to be so close to my mother in the past. Now with my wife's support and with an easy 2-hour drive, I can get to Davis from my Campbell home comfortably. It is a blessing to be with her, as she is frail and weak and in her 80's. The picture on the left was a gathering in Davis last February celebrating her arrival.









Joe had a snowboarding accident in March 2009 that caused an acetabular fracture. He had to take a 3-month leave from his pediatrics residency program at Harbor UCLA Medical Center. Residency without injury is hard enough in the American medical educational system. Residency with a crutch is not a realistic proposition at all. For a full recovery of his injury, Joe took time off, at least six months, to focus on his rehab so that he can be all together again physically and mentally. This is a picture we took in February when we took a day trip to the Getty Center in LA. I need to offer my moral support and I need to be with him often to get him through this. As a parent, this is the least I can do.








I had hard time leaving Beijing, my work, and my friends.
In particular, the SpeakEasy@SunBeijing Toastmasters Club was dear to me. The picture to the left was an outing with the current members to the Beijing Botanic Garden. I had a venue to practice my public speaking and presentation skills. We got to share our lives and experiences with other members through the reviews and dry-runs of the speeches. I gained hope for an emerging society and got to know the aspirations of this new Chinese generation. It is a difficult journey for many in China to create a new social and political order that will all prosper together. The club was also a venue for everyone to come together to build trust, confidence and fellowship. I will miss this community, because I grew along with each one of them in the last 3-1/2 years.


I took on a challenge October 2008 to manage the storage driver team of eighteen people with one junior manager assisting me. I have always been on the technical track at work, so it was quite an opportunity for me to grow professionally. I enjoyed every bit of it. It tapped my other potential, and it gave me a chance to hone my project management skills and interpersonal skills. I learned to communicate and to negotiate better. I learned to be patient when I had to and to be aggressive when it was time to do so. I liked my team a lot. They are energetic, eager, and dedicated to work and their profession. I have no regrets about taking on the opportunity to lead them. Although I worked hard, I enjoyed every bit of it as a team. I miss them.

No comments: