Wednesday, June 9, 2010

English with an American Corporate Accent - 015

This is another collection from recent meetings and trips. It works best if you can find a native English speaker with exposure to corporate America to elaborate on the finer points that I cannot cover well here.

* They have not called my boss yet, but they are definitely waiting in the wings. [They have not called my boss yet, but they are definitely ready at a moment's notice.]
* We plan to put that feature in this release, knock on wood. [We plan to put that feature in this release, if all goes well.]
* Alpha version code is ready now, but gated by the licensing agreement. [Alphas version code is ready now, but being held up by the licensing agreement.]
* That item is interesting, but contentious. [That item is interesting, but controversial.]
* I am on the hook to deliver that document for the project. [I am responsible for delivering that document for the project.]
* I have to cancel lunch because my daughter has pink eye. [I have to cancel our lunch appointment because my daughter has an eye infection.] [pink eye: eye inflammation (conjunctivitis) ]
* FYI, I am still "dead in the water" for regression testing until the hardware problem can be fixed. [For your information, I am still completely unable to perform regression testing until the hardware problem can be fixed.]
* We are working heads down to get that done first. [We are working with complete dedication to get that done first.]
* I think my Mac is acting up. I might have to reboot it very soon. [I think my Mac is not working right. I might have to reboot it very soon.]
* If we can get this whittled down to only two teams, that would be ideal. [If we can get this narrowed down to only two teams, that would be ideal.]
* I can kick the can forward since I see better now. [I can move this thing forward since I have more information now.]
* These are some of the take-aways I have from that meeting. [These are some of the lessons I learned from that meeting.]
* We need to know the cadence of the technology offering. [We need to know the beat and rhythm of the technology offering. ]
* We'll do an one-off agreement with them, the rest should be all based on boiler-plate agreements. [We'll do a special agreement with them, the rest should be all based on a generic template.]

No comments: