Friday, June 25, 2010

English with an American Corporate Accent - 016

This is another collection from recent meetings and trips. It works best if you can find a native English speaker with exposure to corporate America to elaborate on the finer points that I cannot cover well here.

* It looks like the meetings will be as regular as clockwork, so just show up at 11am. [It looks like the meetings will be quite regular, so just show up at 11am.]
* I added Steve and Paul to round out the answers. [I added Steve and Paul to help to provide more for the answers.]
* That procedure works for me. I am a happy camper now. [That procedure works for me. I am a happy person now.]
* We have to brief our manager on this. He likes to have that information in his back pocket. [We have to brief our manager on this. He likes to have that information ready at any time.]
* When I heard that that test failed, I knew that the release date for this project is hosed for sure. [When I heard that that test failed, I knew that we would miss that release date for this project for sure.]
* George, that is a really good suggestion. Let me sleep on it and get back to you. [George, that is a really good suggestion. Let me think about it and get back to you.]
* Joe said, "That 6 am meeting ruined my whole Thursday." Susan answered, "Amen to that." [Joe said, "That 6 am meeting ruined my whole Thursday." Susan answered, "I agree."]
* The jury is still out on whether we'll select that product. [We still don't have any conclusion yet on whether we'll select that product.]
* The tests are all good modulo that configuration bug. [The tests are all good except for that configuration problem.]
* A customer who is not tech savvy could ask that question. [A customer who is not too technical could ask that question.]
* We did not make any headway in that issue. [We did not have any progress on that issue.]
* Susan, this is just FYI. [Susan, this is just for your information.]

No comments: